Thursday, February 18, 2010

My NGO

I would like to start an NGO in Stellenbosch that would serve to help people living on the street. Not everyone goes to the Night Shelter, for plenty of different reasons. The STNS does help a lot of individuals, but it involves commitment to the institution on behalf of the individual that not everyone is willing to make.

I've had this idea for a long time which involves the low-cost manufacturing of long-john like warms pajamas and full rainproof coats (I paid something like R25 for the best covering plastic rain jacket - I imagine they manufacture for considerably less).

Anyway, I would like to distribute material things like this that would benefit people on a small but necessary scale. The NGO wouldn't offer any kind of psychological or religious help, perhaps a cup of coffee and a place so sit for a while (during the day).

It is perhaps a tad idealist and I haven't really thought of all the angles.

There could be unique rules like it is okay if you're drunk but we won't let you in if you're going to act like an asshole.

I can imagine the potential outcry from the pre-dominantly Christian care organisations. They will use the Eikestad Nuus as a spear-head against the organisation, claiming that we are "contributing to the problem of vagrancy in Stellenbosch".

2 comments:

  1. sometimes i confuse certain phrases. i want spearhead to mean 'sabotage', or 'interfere', 'work against', not 'driving force' in a beneficial way.

    ReplyDelete